Shopper Spending and Sales per Square Foot figures in 2013
According the 2014 Annual Report for the International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- 9 Malls in the U.S. posted their highest sales per square foot ($475) ever-recorded in 2013
- Consumers visited malls on average 3.4 times per month with an average stay of 84 minutes per trip.
- In each visit, they spentover $97 for an average of nearly $331 per month
- Women spent the most, averaging $344 per month.
- Men averaged less spending at $321 per month, but actually made slightly more trips – but those trips were 10 minutes less in duration than trips made by women
- The U.S. retail industry employs over 15 million people. Which means that 1 in 9 U.S. jobs is retail related
- In 2013, shopping center sales totaled $2.5 trillion, which accounts for 55% of total retail sales